A couple days
before Thanksgiving, two more of our teammates arrived from the States – Kyle
and Cindi Tumberg! They brought lots of goodies – treats for me and the kids,
Ener-G Baking Powder, guar gum, multiplication flash cards (yay!!!), and
cranberry sauce! Yesterday we all kept busy – the boys and I polished their
slideshow presentation about the history of Thanksgiving and made a cute
centerpiece for the table with bubble letters that said “Give Thanks”. When
Alicia and Cindi got back from their Thai language class that afternoon, they
set to work making mashed potatoes, tofu and stuffing, green beans, and pecan
pie. Of course we had to add an Asian touch, so there was also a bowl of rice,
and a dish of lettuce leaves (apparently they eat them plain like that with
their meals). I made coconut
whipped topping for the pie.
We had such a nice
time with our dinner guests. Alicia and Ricardo had invited 4 of their
classmates from the language school, along with Kyle and Cindi, so we had 11
people total. Many of them had never experienced a real Thanksgiving
celebration before, so we had fun explaining to them what it’s all about, and
the boys did an excellent job on their presentation! We also enjoyed a number
of special music selections – one Chinese lady sang a Christian Chinese song
for us, then Gabriel played some Chopin on the piano, and Daniel followed with
Vivaldi on the violin. We also had provided little cards for each person to
write down what they were thankful for. They seemed to really enjoy our little
celebration.
Homeschooling has
been going fairly well. I thank God every day for getting me through, because I
know that my “success” has nothing to do with me! I feel so ignorant and
helpless much of the time, but God always gives me the wisdom I need at just
the right moments. A few weeks ago, we called a family council in which I
shared some of my goals for the boys, as well as for myself, and we talked
about how we could help each other make those things happen. It went really
well, and I’ve already been seeing some progress in the areas we talked about!
One huge item on my
Thanksgiving list is the response I’ve received from many of you regarding our
need for books! We’ve already received a small parcel and a box so far, and you
should have seen the excitement as we tore open that box! J Shouts of exclamation and “oohs” and “ahhs”
filled the air as we pulled out book after book, colored pencils, granola bars,
and other little goodies. It’s been like Christmas in November. J Thank you from all of us! We’ve already read
several, and look forward to reading more!
Again, I wish my
computer would cooperate so I could show you the pictures we took last weekend.
We all took a trip to Sorin to visit the Sorensons, another missionary family.
It just so happened that our trip coincided with the Elephant Festival, so we
got to see the elephants do all sorts of tricks, and some of us participated!
Gabriel and his dad volunteered to lie down while the elephants stepped over
them and gently tapped their behinds with their giant feet, and nudged them
with their trunks. The boys persuaded me to join in the game of tug-of-war
against one of the elephants. (Of course, the elephant won easily.) Afterwards,
we fed the elephants and went for a ride in a chair on an elephant’s back. As
soon as I can get some pictures from Alicia, I’ll upload them for you! It was
rather scary tramping through the streets, dodging elephants left and right!
But super fun. I wouldn’t have missed it. J
I hope and pray all
of you have had a blessed Thanksgiving! You each are a blessing to me. I
appreciate your encouragement and support more than you can imagine. Whenever I
start to feel discouraged or overwhelmed, it’s such a comfort to remember that
I have not just one or two, but a whole team of friends praying for me
every day! Thank you.
Wow! I just clicked on this link that I saw on google plus. Didn't know that you had made it over to Thailand! That's great! And glad to hear things are going well over there.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Sounds like you're having a fun, blessed time. Praying for you! <3
ReplyDelete