When I
returned from my visa run to Laos, the Palacios still hadn’t found a place to
live yet, so we all camped out temporarily in the pastor’s home. Soon it was
time for AFM team-building week in Korat, about 3-4 hours away by bus. You want
a challenge? Try homeschooling 2 boys in a zoo. Yes, a zoo. We stayed in cabins
at the zoo, and while the adults had their team-building meetings, the boys and
I did school. You should have heard them. “We’re in a zoo! Why do we have to do
school? This is supposed to be vacation!” Poor kids. At least they had the
afternoons free to explore the zoo.
As soon
as we returned from Korat, our plates were filled once again with adventure.
The Palacios stayed in a hotel while paperwork was finalized, and I moved into
my new apartment. (It’s actually a hotel room which can be rented long-term for
a reasonable price – cheaper than I was paying in Bangkok!) The day after I
moved in, I went shopping with Gabriel to furnish my apartment with cooking
utensils, etc. This guy was awesome – took the cart from me, grabbed my list,
and helped me find the best variety, color, etc., for the best price. I teased
him that he was practicing for married life. haha He’ll make a great husband
someday.
Up
until now, I had been eating all my meals with the Palacios. Well, I was
informed a little while ago that from now on, I’ll be responsible for all my
meals except lunch. Eeeek!!! Time to step outside my comfort zone once again.
Yesterday I embarked on my first shopping spree at the tiny market near my
apartment. (The big one is too far for me to walk to.) Now, I’m not the typical
foreigner. Most “farangs” go to Big C and buy all their oatmeal, granola, bread
and peanut butter, etc. Not me. If I’m in Thailand, I’m going to eat like
everybody else in Thailand. I want
the full experience. So, I started
picking out vegetables – leafy-looking green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers (yes,
they sauté cucumbers here, and I wanted to try it myself), onions, galangal
(kind of like ginger), dill, an unidentifiable herb with a somewhat familiar
smell, and chilis. Can’t leave out the chilis! ;-) I then brought it all home
and proceeded to make something edible out of it all. The result wasn’t exactly
what I was trying to achieve, but it was good nonetheless! The soupy base
tasted like Tom Yum, a traditional Thai soup. Next time I think I’ll leave out
the cucumbers and add mushrooms and lemongrass instead.
Today
my adventures continued. The Palacios had just moved into their new apartment,
and it’s not within walking distance. So now I, with my VERY limited Thai, had
to get there on my own. I went to the intersection to wait for the song-taew
(like a cheap taxi), and waited for what seemed an eternity. Then a lady rides
up on her motorbike and offers me a ride. Anxious to get to the Palacios, I
accepted. However, she started off in the opposite direction from which I
needed to go! I motioned frantically that I needed to go the other way, but she
seemed not to notice. Oh great, now where
am I going to end up?! I worried to myself. Finally I asked her, “Where are
you taking me?” She said, “Hospital.” What?!!! So I told her the only thing I
knew how to say in Thai: “Mai chai! (No!) I need to go the other way!” And I
pointed back down the road where we had come from. Then she said, “Taxi.” I
groaned inwardly. I did not want to take a taxi. They are too expensive! So I
said again, “Mai chai!” Then she pointed to a yellow vehicle in the oncoming
lane. Then I understood – she was taking me to where all the song-taews stop in
town. But I groaned again – that yellow song-taew she had pointed to was the
very one that I had been waiting for! >_< Now it was gone, and I’d have
to wait a long time for the next one. Meanwhile, my new friend was flagging
down a song-taew going the other direction. Finally I was able to get across to
her that I needed a song-taew going the OTHER direction!!! Poor lady, she was
so kind, but failed in her effort to be helpful. She laughed apologetically,
then helped me cross the street to wait for the other song-taew. Finally I got
on the right vehicle and I thought all was well, until I found myself the only
passenger, and the vehicle stopped on the side of the road. The driver wanted
to know where I was going. Well, I had no idea!! I knew what landmarks to look
for, but no idea how to communicate that. So, I called Alicia, and had her talk
to the driver for me! lol At last he understood, and dropped me off at the
right place. What an ordeal, just to go to work! LOL
I
really like the people of Khon Kaen. They are so friendly and helpful. This
evening when I was waiting to cross the main street back to my apartment, the
lady waiting beside me grabbed my arm and decided to help me cross the street.
When there was a break in the traffic, she held my hand and we ran together to
the other side. This is a total stranger, mind you! Then she asked me what I’m
doing in Thailand and where I’m staying. As we pass a vendor at the market, the
lady there greets me with a smile and recommends some cauliflower to go along
with the pumpkin I’m carrying. It seems like everyone wants to look out and
care for this “farang noi” (little foreigner). Even the hotel owners know me by
name, and greet me every time I pass by. I think I’m going to like it here.
| Ready to cook my first meal. |
| The result! Not bad! ;-) |
| Doesn't everyone wash vegetables in their bathroom sink? O.o |
| Tomorrow's breakfast - pumpkin, collards (?), and cauliflower in a light coconut sauce over rice. Still trying to perfect the seasoning... |
No comments:
Post a Comment