Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Above the Clouds


     Sitting in a plane bound for Tokyo, Japan (the first segment of my flight to Thailand), my bewildered mind struggles to identify the myriad of thoughts and feelings floating around inside me. Usually I wouldn’t bother. The adventurous side of me says to just wait and see, and enjoy the trip! But I’m already anticipating the barrage of questions I’ll likely get, hence my efforts to elucidate and organize my jumbled thoughts.

     Honestly, I don’t think reality has set in yet. The terror I’d been feeling for the past 3 months has vanished, and in its place is a kind of expectant, hopeful awe of what lies ahead. It’s a rather peaceful feeling, really, which is surprising considering the fear that gripped my heart just yesterday! Perhaps that comes from knowing that my Jesus has things under control, and He holds my future in His hands. He won’t allow anything to come to me for which His grace has not already made provision. We’re in this together. Of course I’ve known this all along, but somehow, today I also feel that it is true. It’s an awesome thing when God provides the feeling to go along with the head knowledge. J

     On our upward ascent, I gaze out the window, studying the dismal city of Atlanta passing below me.  I remind myself of reality again – that I won’t see this city (or this country) for at least 10 months. I’d better take a good look while I still can. Torrents of rain pelt us mercilessly as we plunge through the clouds, climbing up, up, up, against the blustery winds. Soon, the mass of impenetrable gray becomes lighter, and presently, we burst through the clouds into the blinding sunshine and blue sky. :D I absolutely love it. “Above the clouds, the sun is always shining.”  It’s a lesson I need to take with me, especially in Thailand. I may have stormy days, when it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong. But it is then that I must remember, the sun (and the Son J) is still shining above the clouds. Even though I can’t see beyond the clouds, though it seems that the darkness is impenetrable, by faith I can grasp the invisible reality that all is not hopelessness. My hope lies beyond the clouds, where the sun is always shining, and my Master never sleeps. J



3 comments:

  1. Mmm... Amen. Excited for you, Rachel! You will be in my prayers! Update us often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, you're gone, gone, gone!!

    ReplyDelete