Friday, October 5, 2012

Random Tidbits


     Thursday afternoon while watching the boys play basketball, guess who I met? Of all the random things, I met an SDA English teacher from Murphy, NC – my hometown! I couldn’t believe my ears! Do you know how impossible that is? Murphy – a dinky little mountain town in the middle of nowhere – and I find somebody from there halfway across the world in Thailand. Unbelievable. He invited me over to meet his family, and they were so sweet. They told me I was welcome to eat breakfast with them any time, and to come over and hang out whenever I wanted.

     Friday after lunch (I got to make my famous eggplant curry!), we took a bus to the center of Bankok, called Siam, where all the big shopping malls are. Mission: to find good quality flipflops. (My cheap pair from WalMart have almost worn a hole in the heel.) I did find a cute pair, but had to pay a little more than I wanted. At first the lady said $8, but I was able to work it down to $6. (Yes, haggling is the thing here. Ricardo said she probably charged more for finding the right size than for the shoe itself.) I thought that it would be easier to find my size here in a country full of petite people, but no such luck. Not in shoes, anyway. I haven’t checked out the clothing yet. Hopefully I’ll have more luck in that realm.

     After just 3 days, the boys are already attached (and I confess, so am I.) ^_^ The little one (Daniel – age 10) wanted a goodnight hug after worship last night. Isn’t that sweet?!! hehe Then he persuaded his older brother (Gabriel – age 12) to also give me a hug. Aw, I think I’m gonna absolutely love this family. I predict I’ll have a really hard time leaving when the time comes…. =’) It’s going to be an awesome year.

Random sight: Walking past a freshly-mowed soccer field, a guy was sweeping the grass clippings into little piles with a stiff straw broom, kind of like this: 






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys are going to be attached even more, you'll see, and God'll use you to make a big difference in their lifes and whoever you get in touch there! =) Nice to read it today.

    ReplyDelete