Tuesday, October 9, 2012

When It Rains, It Pours!


     I had been warned about flash floods here, but I didn’t take it seriously until today. It had been raining pretty hard off and on today, and when I looked out the door a few minutes ago, my jaw fell open – the Palacios’ entire driveway was submerged in nearly half a foot of water! I should have brought my camera. But according to the reports I’ve heard, I’ll have plenty of other opportunities to photograph this phenomenon.

     Yesterday was our first day of school. Morning went fine – the boys seemed good-natured and somewhat enthusiastic, and I knew most of the subject matter well (except pre-algebra, which I studied later). Afternoon was a different story. B-O-R-I-N-G was the verdict for most of the afternoon subjects. Heads nodded off, fingers fidgeted, eyes wandered everywhere else but to the book….you get the picture. The end of the day found me asking myself, What on earth am I doing here? I knew I wasn’t cut out for this…” Oh yeah, and I was put in charge of fixing lunch! And of course I burned the beans. I think that must have been the worst meal I’ve ever fixed. LOL (But bless their hearts, they wouldn’t admit it. They claimed to enjoy it. In fact, Gabriel said, “If this is your worst, I wonder what your best is.” So sweet.) To top it off, Gabriel was growing a headache and a fever, which had spiked to 102 by the end of the day. When Ricardo came home that afternoon, I guess he took pity on my visibly frazzled state, and suggested we forget Thai and Latin, and save those for when Alicia returns from the US, and she’ll teach those. She can also take over science, which is probably my worst subject. (Science projects leave me clueless.)

     Today, praise God, was sooooo much better!!! Gabriel still wasn’t feeling the best, but his headache was gone and his temperature much lower. Things went pretty smoothly, much to my relief. Ricardo has also found an excellent typing program online, which he downloaded, and the boys are really excited to start that tomorrow!  Please pray that things will continue to go as smoothly as they did today, and that the Lord will give me what I need to be the best teacher I can be to meet the boys’ needs.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure the beans tasted good yet unlike the oatmeal with too much salt that I made when you were here. Funny thing is I've never done that before and never have since. You were a special guest to get that treatment..lol

    ReplyDelete